Where are my banana lovers? Let’s celebrate this fantastic fruit that makes our oatmeal creamy and our bodies regular. Let’s make this humble fruit feel special and all dressed up. Let’s caramelize it and make it a little boozy. (Well…this is breakfast time, so maybe we’ll just use rum extract instead.) This recipe uses rum extract. I’ve always thought that rum extract doesn’t have much flavor, which is why the recipe calls for an entire two teaspoons. If you don’t have rum extract, you could omit it. I think it would still be delishhhhhhh.
Bananas Foster Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp plant milk of choice
- 2 tsp rum extract (can omit)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp molasses
- 1 banana
- 1 cup plant milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Combine first five ingredients in a small skillet with a whisk.
- Cut banana in half lengthwise, and then across so you have four pieces. Place the banana pieces cut-side down in the skillet. Turn the heat on medium low.
- Meanwhile, bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil in a saucepan, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- By this point, your bananas should be caramelizing on the bottom and the mixture should be thickening and bubbling. Flip them over and let them cook on the other side until both sides are nice and covered in caramel mixture.
- Back to the oatmeal: once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and the Bananas Foster. Optional: top with vegan banana soft serve!
True Bananas Foster is flambéed. I suppose you could still do that, but who has time for that in the morning? Simply caramelizing it in the pan is delicious enough.