The recipe is great because it contains few ingredients and is easy to make. The simpler meals are, in my opinion, the better!
Light and Fluffy Banana-Nut Muffins [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Banana Muffins:
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 2 1/2 tablespoons water)
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, or agave nectar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
For the Candied Nuts:
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped walnuts or almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspon vanilla powder optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a standard muffin try with paper baking cups.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, prepare the flax egg by mixing water and the flaxseed meal together. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the spiced nuts in a medium-sized bowl. Line a pan with parchment paper, spread the mixture out, and bake for 8-10 minutes (or until golden brown). Remove and allow to cool.
- Once the flax egg has thickened, add banana (mashed), baking powder, and baking soda. Combine until only small chunks remains. Add vanilla, coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup (or alternative), sea salt, and cinnamon. Whisk vigorously until combined. Add almond milk and stir once more.
- Add almond meal, gluten-free oats, and gluten-free flour blend and stir until just combined. Next, divide batter between the muffin tins until three-quarters way full. There should be 12 muffins.
- Top the muffins with the candied nuts (that is, if you haven’t eaten them all by this step).
- Bake for 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean and the edges are dark golden brown. Remove the muffin tray from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Next, remove the tin and let to cool completely on a cooling rack. (Optional: sprinkle cane sugar on top for decor) The muffin texture is best when completely cooled.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container. They will keep up to 7 days in the fridge, or up to one month in the freezer.