These granola bars are perfect for maintaining a well-balanced diet. By taking 40 minutes at the beginning of the week to make these granola bars you are providing yourself (and your family) with a healthy breakfast or snack for an entire week. Plus they’re delicious, even the pickiest eaters will gobble them down.
Banana Granola Bars [Vegan]
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 cups oats, quick or rolled
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease and line a 9×13-inch baking dish, set aside.
- Use a fork to completely mash up the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and use a sturdy spoon (or your hands) to mix everything really well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly. Use a flat, burger-type spatula, to press the granola mixture with a lot of pressure. This is really important because it allows the bars to stay in bar form instead of crumbling like regular granola.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Use the spatula to press the mixture back down immediately after removing it from the oven. Let it cool completely.
- When the granola is cooled, flip it onto a cutting board and remove the paper. Cut it into 12 equal bars and store in an airtight container or wrapped in saran wrap.
You can substitute the banana for a 1/2 cup of any other pureed vegetable or fruit. For fruits that are higher in water, like berries, use less than a 1/2 cup. You can also substitute the flax seed and coconut for any other nuts, seeds or ground supplement like maca powder, chia seeds, pumpkins seeds, etc.