This recipe for Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls is the combination of the two tastiest treats! Banana bread + cinnamon rolls: what could be better?
Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 8.5 ounces white bread flour
- One large ripe banana, mashed
- 75ml plant-based milk
- 1 ounce caster sugar
- 1 ounce vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 3 ounces brown sugar
- 1.75 ounces vegan butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- A handful of nuts, eg walnuts or pecans, crushed (OPTIONAL)
- A handful of raisins (OPTIONAL)
For the Glaze:
- .7 ounces icing sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons plant-based milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Into a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix well.
- Add in the butter, milk, and mashed banana and mix to form a sticky dough.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes on a lightly oiled surface until the dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and leave overnight in the fridge to rise.
- To make the filling, mix together the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nuts and raisins in a bowl. Set aside.
- Remove the risen dough from the fridge and punch down a few times. Knead briefly for a minute to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Onto a floured surface, roll out the dough to form a 20x30 cm rectangle.
- Spread over the cinnamon filling, pressing it down to form an even layer.
- Roll the dough up tightly from one of the long edges into a sausage. Use a sharp knife to slice the roll into approx 9 slices.
- Arrange the slices cut side down into a 23 x 20cm baking tin with baking parchment. Cover loosely and set aside to rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Once the rolls have risen slightly, bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes in the baking tin.
- To make the glaze, add the icing sugar into a bowl along with the milk and vanilla extract. Mix well to form a thick glaze. To make the glaze thinner, add in a bit more milk. To make it thicker, add in a bit more icing sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cinnamon rolls and serve!