Oat bars are super easy to make, and when made with the right ingredients can be extremely juicy and nutritious! These banana, beet, and blueberry oat bars are packed with flavor, antioxidants, and have added crunch from sunflower and sesame seeds, and almonds. Pack these with you on a trip for a tasty way to fend off hunger.
Banana and Blueberry Oat Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 very ripe bananas, chopped
- 2 beets, cooked
- 2 scoops acai (optional)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 cups gluten-free oats
- 1/3 cup flax
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- A handful of muesli or mixed nuts and seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the banana, beets, almond butter, and acai in a food processor until thoroughly blended.
- Heat coconut oil very gently in a saucepan until melted then add to the wet mix, pulse for 1 second.
- Add the wet mix to the mixture and stir well until everything is combined.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and spread the mix on top, about 1 inch thick.
- Top with the blueberries and your choice of crunchy toppings.
- Bake for 30 minutes, test the middle of the flapjacks with a knife to ensure they are cooked through. If not bake for a further few minutes and test again.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly, then divide into squares, and serve.