If you make superfoods like cruciferous veggies, mushrooms, and onions (just to name a few) a part of your daily routine, you will be rocking it. Your immune system will become badass, you will drop weight, you will sleep better, you will even give yourself cancer protection. Never underestimate the importance of eating a variety of plant foods. When you do this you don’t have to count calories or play mind games with yourself to only eat a certain amount. If you eat a healthy pant-based diet with a variety of plant food, you’re golden. Here’s a nutrient dense, superfood recipe that will leave you satisfied and happy.
Baked Sweet Potatoes With Cashew Cauliflower Cream [Vegan]
- 2 sweet potatoes, slit several times with a knife (make slits on the top of the potato) and wrapped in foil.
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into pieces. They don’t have to be bite-sized since they will eventually be blended
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups red cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400° and bake sweet potatoes for one hour, until the potato is soft.
- While the potato is baking, make the Cashew Cauliflower Cream and the veggies
- Place the cauliflower in a pan along with 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, drain and set aside.
- Drain and discard the water from the cashews and place the cashews in a blender, along with the cauliflower, apple cider vinegar, sea salt and water.
- Blend for several minutes until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Place the broccoli and 1 cup of water in a pan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat the 1/2 cup of water in a skillet and saute the onions for 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage and mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, basil and salt. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Note: If the water evaporates, just add a little more.
- Place the potatoes on a plate and evenly distribute the veggies.
- Top with Cashew Cauliflower Cream.
You can easily make the Cashew Cauliflower Cream in advance. I actually recommend it so it will be nice and chilled when you’re ready to use it. If you have a non-stick pan, use it for this veggie recipe. Use the cashew cauliflower cream within 4 days.