The crispy surface adds a lovely crunch to these Mac And Cheese And Peas! Of course, you can always swap the peas with your favorite vegetable or leave them out completely if you’re feeling more cheesy. Find this recipe in Bianca Haun & Sascha Naderer’s The Veginner’s Cookbook through Skyhorse Publishing!
Baked Mac and Cheese and Peas [Vegan]
- 1 and 1/2 cups elbow macaroni pasta, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 portion of cheese sauce
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Boil the pasta until soft and steam the frozen peas in a small sieve on top of the pasta until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Panko breadcrumbs with the salt and dried parsley.
- Drain the pasta (reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water for later, to thin out the cheese sauce) and put the pasta back into the pot. Add in the peas, garlic powder, onion powder, and cheese sauce. Then, add in the reserved cooking water and give it a quick mix.
- Transfer the mac & cheese to a lightly oiled oven-safe 5-inch by 8-inch pan and sprinkle with the spiced Panko breadcrumbs. Spray the top of the mac & cheese with the cooking spray, and put it in the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes until it gets a nice and brown on top.