If you're looking for a healthy donut recipe - we’ve got you covered. These Baked Vegan Lemon & Blueberry Donuts are a real treat. It includes a banana as a replacement for an egg which is perfect because bananas are not just easy to buy in stores they are also a healthy alternative. Plus, You can customize the flavor however you like!
Baked Lemon & Blueberry Donuts [Vegan]
For the Dougnut:
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup dairy-free yogurt
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 mashed banana
- juice of 1 lemon
For the Icing:
- 3.5 ounces vegan white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Prepare the oven and turn on at 350°F. Prepare the donut trays. Feel free to use your typical mould works fine.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and add the sugar, salt, and lemon zest. Stir the dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, mash the banana (ripened bananas work best). Then add the oil, dairy-free milk, and lemon juice. Stir these ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Make sure these are well combined (and there are no lumps of flour left). Try to avoid over stirring the mixture.
- Add the frozen blueberries and mix in so they are spread throughout the mixture.
- Using a small spoon or piping bag fill the doughnuts moulds.
- Put the moulds in the oven on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and leave to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the doughnuts.
- In a bowl, add the vegan white chocolate and melt it in the microwave. We always try to limit the cooking to 30 seconds at a time and then stir. It can be really easy to burn the chocolate if you leave it for too long and the microwave is much quicker and easier than using a stove. Once you have a bowl of liquid chocolate add the 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Do not add too much liquid as it could affect the chocolates ability to set.
- Dip each of the doughnuts into the chocolate and then leave to set. We find that vegan chocolate takes much longer to set than dairy-based chocolate. You can either wait for half an hour to an hour at room temperature or add the doughnuts to the fridge or freezer.
- We also dusted icing sugar on some of the doughnuts to add variation.