The only thing better than bacon mac and cheese is a vegan version and the only thing better than that is an empanada stuffed with it! That’s right, these empanadas are warm, flaky, crisp, and stuffed with decadent mac and cheese! Each bite is texturally fun, a mix of smoky and cheesy flavor, and quite delicious. Enjoy these when you’re craving comfort food or make a big batch and be the hit of a get-together.
Bacon Mac and Cheese Empanadas [Vegan]
- 1 6-ounce box of vegan macaroni and cheese or 2 cups prepared vegan macaroni and cheese
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 slices vegan bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- Preheat your oven to 450°F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. If your mac and cheese is not prepared already, cook according to the box instructions. While the mac and cheese cooks, prepare your dough.
- Combine the yeast, sugar, and water in a large bowl, and let it sit for 10 minutes. It should look frothy.
- When the yeast is ready, stir in the 1/4 cup of oil. Add the flour and salt, and stir the mixture to combine (it will be messy). Set the dough aside for at least 10 minutes, or until you're ready to use it.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the vegan bacon, and cook, stirring frequently until it's just beginning to crisp. Carefully, transfer the cooked bacon to the cooked mac and cheese, and stir them to combine. Set this aside.
- Pour your the dough onto a floured surface, and knead it until it just comes together into a ball. Cut the ball into 8 equal pieces, and use your hands to shape each piece into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the first piece of dough into a 6-inch circle. Place 2 tablespoons of the bacon mac and cheese into the middle of the circle, and fold the dough over the filling, and pinch the edges together with a fork. Place the empanada onto the prepared baking sheet, and repeat this step with the remaining dough and bacon mac and cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk together the non-dairy milk, paprika, and turmeric. Brush the empanadas with the milk mixture before placing them in the oven to bake for 14-16 minutes, or until golden brown.