Vegan avocado pesto pasta topped with crispy chickpeas. This easy plant-based dinner recipe is made in under 30 minutes with just a few ingredients.
Avocado Pasta [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 3 cups pasta of choice
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1 handful arugula, for serving
- Vegan parmesan, for serving
For the Avocado Pesto:
- 2 medium avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon water, or more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or more to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the chickpeas on a baking sheet and toss with oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Roast the chickpeas for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook the pasta according to the package's instructions.
- Prepare the avocado pesto: In a food processor, add the avocados, basil, garlic, oil, lemon juice, water and salt. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Once the pasta is ready, drain and return it to the saucepan. Add the pesto and toss to combine.
- Serve the pasta with the crispy chickpeas, vegan parmesan and arugula if desired.