These creamy key lime pie popsicles are fun treat to fix for a quick snack or a fun dessert that you can feel good about giving the little ones. What's the secret behind their unmistakably ice cream-like texture? The lime and syrup makes the perfect flavor balance in these and you won’t even think about the fact that it’s avocado you’re eating. A touch of salt and vanilla as optional ingredients because it helps bring out the other flavors and make these just a little bit more like eating a frozen slice of key lime pie on a stick.
5-Ingredient Avocado Key Lime Pie Popsicles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 small or 2 large limes)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup pitted dates
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- Combine the cashews, dates, and salt in a small food processor or blender and pulse until very fine and starting to stick together in a sort of dough. It doesn't need to be completely smooth because you still want a little texture. If you don't have a small food processor this can be done by hand-chopping but it does take much longer to get it as fine. Pour the mixture into a small dish and set aside.
- Add the avocado, lime juice, syrup, and vanilla to the processor and blend until creamy smooth. Divide the mixture into your popsicle molds leaving about 1/2 inch of space empty at the tops (depending on the size of your mold it should fill about six slots). Now fill in the empty spaces with your nut/date mixture and press down just slightly.
- Insert popsicle sticks in the middle of each pop and freeze for a minimum of 8 hours until solid. Once frozen, run the outside of the mold under hot water for a few seconds to loosen the pops, then serve.