What's more comforting than walking into a kitchen and being greeted by a big, bubbling pot of vegetable soup? Even better if it's this particular soup: it's hearty yet wholesome, and oh-so satisfying on colder days. Stir in a big spoonful of parsley pesto – it makes the soup twice as delicious!
Autumn Vegetable Soup With Parsley Pesto [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Autumn Vegetable Soup With Parsley Pesto [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots. thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 3 inner celery ribs, leaves included, thinly sliced
- 1 small white or red skinned potatoes, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 small tomatoes, diced (I used skin and seeds)
- 12 fresh yellow beans, chopped
- 6-8 cup vegetable stock or use water and vegetable bouillon cubes or demi glace
- A handful of chopped herbs (parsley, thyme)
- Salt and pepper
- Two large handfuls of flat leaf parsley (or 2 bunches that you buy at the store)
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon capers without the brine
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
How to Prepare Autumn Vegetable Soup With Parsley Pesto [Vegan]
- Heat oil in a soup pot, add the onion and cook on medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, be careful not to brown it.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes to soften them.
- Add the potatoes, red pepper and tomatoes and cook for another few minutes, stirring.
- Add 6 cups of the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the yellow beans, lower heat to simmer and cook the soup, adding as much stock as you need to have the consistency you want.
- Add the herbs towards the end of the cooking.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. It depends on the stock you use, some have more salt than others.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and spoon some of the pesto into each bowl and serve immediately.
- Place the parsley, garlic, drained capers and salt in the food processor and pulse to chop the parsley.
- Add the oil gradually though the feeding tube, processing until the oil is incorporated and the pesto reaches the right consistency.
- If you would like to store the pesto, pack it into sterilized jars and keep refrigerated. Freeze for longer storage.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.