Pies are one of the best foods ever - they are quick to make, comfortable even for a meal outside the home and moreover they are an infallible way to make vegetables delicious for those who don't usually like them! This pie uses artichokes and wild garlic, creating an unusual and tasty mix.
Artichoke and Walnut Pesto Pie [Vegan]
For the dough:
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower seed oil
- white wine to taste
- 1 pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 2 artichokes
- 2 tablespoons of natural sunflower seeds
- 2 teaspoons of spirulina algae powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 clove of wild garlic
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- untreated sea salt to taste
- Olive oil to taste
- Gomasio to taste
- ice to taste
For the dough:
- Mix the flour with the salt and oil and add the cold white wine until you get a ball of smooth and elastic dough. Wrap in foil and allow to rest in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Clean the artichokes keeping only the heart, cut into slices and cook over low heat with a pinch of salt and a little oil until they become tender (if necessary add a little water and cover).
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a pan over low heat, stirring often, then let them cool.
- Boil garlic and basil for 30 seconds, then drain and squeeze slightly.
- In a blender or mixer, add in the ice crubes, then the wild garlic and basil, the spirulina algae, pepper and sunflower seeds. Blend while adding oil until you get to the desired consistency.
- Mix artichokes and pesto, and add the nutritional yeast.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and line the bottom and edges of a pie pan. With the excess dough, create strips of dough that you will use for decoration.
- Prick the dough with a fork, then add the filling and level it well. Dust with gomasio.
- Place the strips to create the tart grid, fold the edge towards the center and bake at 350°F degrees until golden brown.