Every time I have artichokes that need to be eaten, I think of spinach and artichoke dip. It’s a classic at almost any get together, and it’s cheesy, gooey, goodness is a hit with everyone. I had a craving for my favorite vegan version last month and just knew I had to somehow make a meal that was just as heavenly. The lemon cashew cream makes this risotto extra rich, super creamy, and just bright enough for an easy, yet decadent mid-week lunch.
Artichoke and Spinach Risotto With Lemon Cashew Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons green garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup snap peas, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Heat vegan butter and oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add snap peas and rice. Let rice start to toast and brown slightly. Add wine to deglaze pan.
- Add stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring often, until all is absorbed and rice is cooked. About halfway through cooking, add artichoke hearts and spinach so they cook into the rice slightly.
- Combine cashews, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup broth in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Once rice is done, add cashew cream, slowly stirring it in. Add sea salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Let simmer to combine.
- Top with parsley and serve.