Now that autumn is here and apples are in season, what better excuse is there to have an amazing and super easy dessert.This flaky apple strudel is becomes golden brown goodness as it bakes and the fragrant, sweet scent of apples is amazing. This creamy custard could not be any simpler or more rewarding! Only 4 ingredients and it tastes heavenly!
Apple Strudel With Custard [Vegan]
For the Apple Strudel:
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup and 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 14 ounces diced cooking apples
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cap full of rum
- 1 vegan puff pastry sheet
For the Custard:
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence
- 2/5 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- Melt vegan butter in a pan. Add breadcrumbs and toast slightly. If you want to avoid vegan butter, you can also toast them in a bit of sunflower or coconut oil.
- Transfer the toasted breadcrumbs to a bowl and add brown sugar, diced cooking apples, walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla extract, lemon juice and 1 cap of rum.
- Mix together with your hands.
- Roll out a puff pastry sheet. Transfer mix to the sheet and evenly spread out in the middle (basically the same way you would make a wrap). Then fold the bottom part of the sheet over the mixture, take off paper and then fold the top part over. Take off the baking paper and slightly press it down so it doesn't open up when it's baking. Then fold in both ends.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until it has a nice golden brown color.
- While the vegan apple strudel is baking prepare the vegan custard.
- To a cold pan add 2 cups of milk, vanilla extract/essence, icing sugar and corn starch. Whisk well (or blend) so that there are no lumps. Heat it up and cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Stir continuously as it can burn easily. After a while the custard will thicken up nicely.
- Take the strudel out of the oven. If you are impatient, you can eat it straight away but it's recommended to let it rest a bit. Then sprinkle icing sugar and some cinnamon on top. Cut off a slice and pour the vegan custard over it.