These apple pie ice cream sandwiches are packed with clean ingredients unlike anything you could find at the store. With just 11 ingredients, this recipe is perfect for those who want a sweet treat, without all the fillers and gums. I love this recipe because it’s packed with clean plant protein from almonds, oats, pecans, and you can individually wrap these sandwiches up for an easy on the go snack.
Apple Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan]
For the Cooked Apples:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 apples, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 quart vegan vanilla bean ice cream
For the Crust:
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 3/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Heat a large stainless steel pan on medium-high heat with coconut oil. Once oil is melted, add your apples and sauté for 1 minute.
- Now add cinnamon, maple syrup, nutmeg, lemon juice, and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely. (Tip: If you want to apples to be softer, cook them for about a minute more.)
- In a large mixing bowl, add your almond butter, maple syrup, almond flour, oats, and pecans together. Mix and fold until you have a beautiful soft mixture. With a spatula, separate the mixture into two equal halves. Set aside.
- Grab a 9x9 baking dish, line with parchment paper, and take 1/2 of your crust mixture and press it evenly flat into the baking pan. Once you have a even & flat piece, carefully remove both the crust and parchment paper together and place onto a large plate or baking sheet to freeze.
- Repeat again, flatten the other 1/2 of the crust and another piece of parchment paper in the same empty 9x9 baking dish. Once your second piece is flattened, again remove both the crust and parchment paper together and set onto a large plate or baking sheet.
- Freeze both 9x9 crust pieces for about 15-30 minutes. As the top and bottom crust pieces are freezing, it’s time to make the filling.
- In a large stand-alone mixer, add in your cooled apples and the whole quart of vegan vanilla ice cream and mix just until you have a chunky apple pie ice cream. Don’t mix for too long otherwise it will start to melt. You can also fold together with a spatula if you don’t want to deal with a stand mixer.
- Work quickly and remove your crusts from the freezer. In the 9x9 baking dish add in one crust layer with the parchment still on the bottom (for easy lifting out of the pan later), then top with your ice cream mixture and flatten it evenly across. Top with the other crust layer, and lightly push it down to get everything tight and even.
- Freeze for 3 hours to overnight covered. Overnight is my preference so you know its solid. Once done freezing, remove from the freezer, wait 5 minutes, remove from the pan and then cut into 9 or 12 squares & keep frozen until you are ready to enjoy them! (Tip: Wrap each individual sandwich into a little piece of parchment paper and string knot in the freezer for easy on-the-go frozen snack!)