Wouldn't it be nice to have all of the delicious flavors of an apple pie in a convenient (and refreshing) ice cream bar? With these dessert bars, you can! Soft, apple-cinnamon-spiced, grain-free and no-bake bars sandwich a thick layer of creamy vanilla banana-based ice cream, for a unique and fun dessert that’s perfect for warm fall weather.
Apple Pie a la Mode Bar [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Bars:
- 8 Medjool dates, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons of almond milk, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons raw almond butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves and allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup almond or cashew meal/flour,
- 1/2-1 cup dried apples, cut into small chunks
For the Ice Cream:
- 4 large, very ripe frozen bananas
- 6 soft Medjool dates, soaked in hot water if they are hard
- 1 scoop of vegan protein powder, in vanilla (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (if not using vanilla protein powder)
- A few tablespoons of almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- In a food processor, combine the first 10 ingredients of the bars, scraping down the sides as needed, until fairly smooth. Add the coconut flour, almond/cashew meal, and dried apples and pulse until everything is combined. Mixture should be tacky and stick together. If it seems too dry, add a splash of almond milk, if too wet, add a tablespoon at a time of coconut flour.
- Press dough into a parchment paper lined bread loaf pan for thick bars, or 8×8-inch baking pan for thin bars. Pop in the freezer for about an hour. Remove loaf pan and cut the bars once, down the middle, doing your best to get two equal sized squares. Now you have the top and bottom layer. Set aside and make the nice cream.
- Make the nice cream by blending all the ingredients, using as little almond milk as possible, in a high-speed blender or food processor. Spread a thick layer of nice cream on one of the bar layers and carefully top with the other half (you will cut them into squares later).
- Put the pan back in the freezer and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Remove by lifting the parchment out of the pan, unwrap and then slice into 6 bars or 8 mini bars. Store any uneaten bars in the freezer.