For an energizing start to the day, try out this recipe for apple oatmeal topped with chocolate tahini and coconut. This dish allows for a lot of customizing, so feel free to use your favorite types of nuts, and add sweeteners based on your preference. Whichever way you make it, this porridge is bound to be warm, delicious, and satisfying.
Apple Oatmeal with Chocolate Tahini and Coconut [Vegan]
For the Basic Apple Oatmeal:
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup quick-cook steel cut oats
- 1 small apple, or 1/2 a large one
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoon chocolate tahini
- A handful of shaved or shredded unsweetened coconut
- A handful of nuts, such as almonds or walnuts
For the Chocolate Tahini:
- 2 tablespoon plain tahini
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Sweetener, such as maple syrup, to taste
- Bring milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. If you’d like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.
- Dice or grate the apple into the oatmeal. Recommended method: cut apple into quarters and grate at least half of them into the oatmeal. Dice the remaining half and add to oatmeal. Stir occasionally.
- While the oatmeal cooks, prepare the chocolate tahini by mixing together ingredients in a small bowl. Taste; add more sweetener and/or cocoa powder if desired.
- Back to the oatmeal. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract and salt. If desired, add sweetener and stir.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with another splash of milk, chocolate tahini, coconut, and nuts, if using.
You can make this with rolled or quick oats by increasing the liquid to 1 cup and the oats to 1/2 cup. 1/3 cup applesauce can be used in place of the apple.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile