This cake is so delicious and easy to make. The recipe for the crêpes is so buttery and it goes perfectly with the apple compote. These delicate wafer thin layers of vanilla crêpes stacked up high between layers of gooey apple filling for a beautiful presentation are a new twist on the classic crêpe custard cake.
Apple Crêpe Cake [Vegan]
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups soy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Coconut pan spray
- 1 recipe apple filling blended
- Combine all the ingredients (minus the apple filling and coconut pan spray) together in a high speed blender or food processor and process smooth on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a clean container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour our overnight.
- Meanwhile prepare your apple filling.
- Stir the crêpe batter well before frying
- Get your 9-inch, nonstick skillet hot and spray it lightly with coconut oil and heat it to medium-high.
- Pour approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup of crêpe batter into the pan and then rotate the pan with your wrist so the batter covers the entire surface quickly and evenly
- Cook for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute and then flip it over and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until just starting to get golden.
- Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and repeat until all the batter is finished.
- You will layer each crepe in between parchment on the sheet pan as you go.
- Assemble the cake by spreading approximately 1/4 cup of filling between each crepe and continue until all the crepes are used.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Unfilled crêpes can be stored in the freezer layered with parchment paper between each one and wrapped well for up to 1 month. Thaw them at room temperature or heat them in a low oven to warm before assembling the cake or using as filled stuffed crêpes. Assembled crêpe cake should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week and can be served warm or cold.