There's something about the sweet and buttery flavors of brioche that when soaked in the perfect batter creates the most mouthwatering result!
Apple Blackberry Brioche French Toast [Vegan]
For the French Toast:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of finely ground sea salt
- 1 loaf brioche bread (about 15 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted vegan butter, for cooking
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
For the Toppings:
- Fresh blackberries
- Maple syrup
- Fresh rosemary leaves (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, vanilla extract, arrowroot starch, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, and salt; set the batter aside to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the loaf of bread into 8 slices, 3/4 to 1 inch thick, depending on loaf size.
- Preheat a griddle or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, drop the butter onto the griddle (or in the skillet) and let it melt completely.
- Dip a slice of bread into the batter, rotating it around on both sides and letting it soak for 1 to 2 seconds. Lay the soaked slice on the greased griddle or skillet and cook until it’s golden brown with crisp edges and fully cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Continue to dip, soak, and cook each slice until all the bread slices are made. Cook as many slices as you can comfortably fit on the griddle (or in the skillet) at once without crowding them.
- To serve, stack two pieces of French toast on a plate, layering 1 or 2 slices of apples between them. Top each stack with blackberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, and, if desired, fresh rosemary.