These delicious cookies have a rich aroma of almonds, orange, cinnamon, and vanilla. They are great for anybody with dietary restrictions and intolerances and also for anybody who wants to try something a bit different when baking for Christmas. These may be healthy but they are also very delicious and have all those lovely flavors you would want in a Christmas cookie.
Almond Cinnamon Holiday Cookie Stars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- pinch of salt
- Start by making chia 'egg' combining the ground chia seeds with water and leave on the side for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground almonds with coconut flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in chia 'egg', vanilla, maple syrup, orange zest, and melted coconut oil.
- Stir well so it's all well combined.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of plastic wrap and make sure you don't roll it out too thin as it will get crumbly. (If it gets crumbly, you can add a little bit of water to keep it together). Using star cookie cutter cut out cookies making sure they are not too thin, they should be at least 1/4-inch thick.
- Prepare large baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- Transfer cookies to the baking tray and bake them for 8-10 minutes or until they start to get golden brown around the edges.
- Leave them to cool and sprinkle with powdered xylitol or regular powdered sugar (optional).
Keep in airtight container or metal cookie box. Enjoy!