This cupcake is for my friend Alice. I thought it would be fitting as Alice wears this cute little cupcake pendant around her neck. I’ve never seen her without it. Imagine the heroin from Alice in Wonderland but with a punk hairdo and funky tights, and that’s my Alice. Muchness, indeed.
Alice’s Wonderland Birthday Cupcake [Vegan]
- a small handful of raspberries
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp almond/soya milk
- 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 1 and 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp vegan margarine
- a few drops of red food coloring
- 1 heaped tbsp of vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- a few drops of blue food coloring
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/356ºF.
- In a small mixing bowl, cream the sugar and vegan margarine together until you obtain a smooth paste. Add the four and again, mix it all together. Add the nondairy milk, flaxseed with water, and vanilla extract and mix again. Lastly, beat in the raspberries (if you are using frozen, thaw them beforehand). It’s alright to leave bits of fruit in the batter; that will create a nice surprise when the birthday girl/boy bites into her/his cupcake.
- Spoon into a cupcake tin and bake for 25 minutes.
- While your cupcake is baking, prepare the buttercream icing: with a whisk or electric mixer, beat the sugar and vegan margarine together until they form soft peaks. Add the blue colouring and beat again until the buttercream is an even blue colour.
- When the cupcake has cooled (and it MUST cool, or else the icing will melt right off it), artistically decorated it with the blue buttercream icing (an icing bag will come in handy at this stage). Add a few chocolate sprinkles or other decorative shapes if you like.
- Chocolate Cupcake