New Orleans is known for its delicious food, but did you know that it’s also the home of the French Fry Po’ Boy? Traditionally, French fries are sandwiched inside of a baguette and smothered with roast beef gravy. In this vegan version, we season and bake the fries to get a crispy crust. We also make a mushroom gravy that adds extra umami to your new favorite sandwich. You’ll never miss the meat, and we promise you won’t go hungry! This recipe and many more can be found in Kathy Hester's "Vegan Cooking In Your Air Fryer." Available on Amazon!
Air Fryer French Fry Po’ Boy [Vegan, Gluten-Free Option, Oil-Free Option]
For the French Fries:
- 4 medium Idaho russet potatoes, cut in half, then into planks
- 6 cups boiling water, for soaking the potatoes
- 2 teaspoon olive oil (or use aquafaba)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- 1 tablespoonp olive oil (or use water)
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or use coconut aminos for a gluten-free option)
- 2 teaspoon of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
For the Sandwich:
- Fresh, soft loaf of French or Italian bread (or whole-grain or gluten-free bread)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Vegan mayo
- Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce
- Place the cut fries in a heatproof bowl or saucepan. Bring the water to a boil and then pour it over the fries, covering them. You can use a tea kettle, but you can even boil the water in a large saucepan and then add in the potatoes when you take it off the heat.
- Let the potatoes soak in the hot water for 15 minutes, then pour into a strainer over the sink. Once mostly dry, toss the fries in the oil (or aquafaba), Cajun seasoning, paprika, salt, garlic and black pepper.
- Add the potato mixture to your air fryer basket and cook at 350°F for 5 minutes. Then shake the basket and cook 5 more minutes.
- Raise the heat to 390°F and cook for 5 minutes, then shake the basket and cook a final 5 minutes.
- Check the book out on Amazon!