There’s no better way to start your autumn day than with our Pumpkin Nut Muffin. Moist with subtle spice and sweetness, these pumpkin-packed muffins will have you thinking and seeing more clearly. Rich in beta carotene, you can rest assured your peepers will be seeing better on the shorter, gloomy days ahead. Packed with fiber, pumpkin will help you feel full throughout the day which means less overeating later on—a must during this eating-season. In our shop, we bake these muffins with pumpkin seeds and walnuts. Not only do the seeds and nuts add flavor, protein, and healthy fats, but also antioxidant power from amazing amounts of Vitamin E. This recipe, along with all our baking secrets, can be found in our cookbook: Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes. Happy baking!
Pumpkin Nut Muffins [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup (2.5 ounces) non-hydrogenated vegan butter
- 2/3 cup (4.3 ounces) sugar
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/4 cups (6 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (5 ounces) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the margarine and sugar with a paddle attachment.
- Scrape the bottom of the bowl down and add the pumpkin. Mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla, oil, soymilk, water and molasses. Add to the sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
- Add to the wet ingredients until just mixed. Do not over mix the batter. Fold in the pumpkin seeds and walnuts, if using, by hand.
- Fill the 12 standard muffin cups 2/3-full. (Optional: Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with cinnamon-sugar and pumpkin seeds.)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of each muffin comes out clean.
Make a loaf for slicing! Another vehicle for yummy spreads. Follow instructions 1 through 7 above, but instead of filling a muffin tin with liners (step 2), lightly grease and flour a loaf pan. Pour your prepared batter in and bake for 45 minutes to one hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top of your loaf starts to get too dark before the center is done, you can place some foil over the pan.