Bubble tea, also known as boba, is a popular beverage originating from Taiwan and is now enjoyed all over the world. It is typically made of tea, milk, and tapioca balls. From simple tea to fruity flavors, there are a variety of flavors to choose from and something for everybody! If you don’t live near any boba shops or just want to avoid added sugars, then this guide will tell you everything you need to know about this fun and tasty drink and even how to make it at home!
What Is Boba?
Boba also referred to as tapioca pearls, are made from tapioca starch or cassava starch. These small chewy spheres have a dark color and are often cooked in sugar to give them a sweet taste. However, boba is naturally pretty tasteless, which makes it easy to add to a variety of different flavored drinks. Boba is also available in a wide variety of colors and flavors, such as passion fruit, Honeydew, coconut, strawberry, and lychee.
Can You Make Bubble Tea At Home?
Wondering how to make bubble tea at home? While it may look complicated, it’s a lot easier to make than it seems.
Homemade boba pearls are a must if you love bubble tea. Homemade bubble tea is healthier, more affordable, and completely customizable. Making boba balls from scratch will also give you more control over the exact texture and flavor you prefer.
Is Bubble Tea Healthy?
Unfortunately, bubble tea offers few health benefits and contains high amounts of sugar and carbohydrates along with artificial flavors and food coloring. However, in moderation, indulging in bubble tea is perfectly fine.
Is Boba Vegan?
While most boba pearls are vegan and made from plant-based ingredients, the milk and tea portion is typically not vegan. Luckily, you can easily swap out the dairy milk for a dairy-free option!
4 Vegan Bubble Tea Recipes
Source: Vegan But Lazy/YouTube
Find out how to make bubble tea vegan by watching this video!
The Boba Fett Smoothie
Source: The Boba Fett Smoothie
Source: Bubble Tea
- 10 Veganized TikTok Drinks You Need To Try!
- Here’s How to Order SoCal’s Trendiest Monster Cloud Drink Vegan
- How to Make Herbal Sun Tea on a Hot Summer’s Afternoon
- What is CBD Tea and How it Can Help You
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.