It's the simplest of ingredients with such great flavor, sweet carrots with the irreplaceable flavor of miso and ginger. Yes, there are a lot of carrots involved but carrots are really on the cheap. I can pick up a 5 lb bag of organic carrots for under $5 making this a very inexpensive soup to prepare (double the recipe and store in the freezer for later if you like). The miso is a bit more at around $8-9 a tub but will last up to a year + in the fridge. The miso compliments this soup beautifully making it a classic favorite. I love miso for its flavor and health benefits. The silken tofu is soft and silky blending in almost seamlessly with each bite and the cayenne adds a bit of warmth. So delicious! Feel free to omit the tofu if you’re not a fan. And if you are a fan, feel free to add more for extra protein.
Carrot Miso Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Carrot Miso Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 - 2 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth (I used water)
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) white miso paste
- 8 oz. organic silken tofu, sliced thin and at room temperature
- cayenne pepper as garnish, to taste
- chives, chopped OR scallions, thinly sliced
How to Prepare Carrot Miso Soup [Vegan]
- In a large stock pot or saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic, saute until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add liquids and ginger.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Let soup cool a bit.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender, food processor or in regular blender. You may have to puree the latter two methods in batches.
- In small bowl, add 1/4 cup miso and 1/2 cup of soup.
- Whisk together until combined, add back into the pot of soup and stir to mix. Add a bit more water as needed.
- Taste for seasoning adding salt, especially if you didn't use veggie stock you may like to add salt. Add pepper, more miso or grated ginger to taste.
- Slice your tofu, ladle your soup into serving bowls, top with tofu, a sprinkle of cayenne and a nice bunch of chives or scallions.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.