Fiction Foods, a Los Angeles-based company, uses cellular agriculture to make a vegan egg that is more nutritious than chicken eggs. The company is a subsidiary of Cult Food Science, whose focus is to create clean, lab-grown food to provide sustainable, environmental, and ethical solutions to global factory farming and the water crisis.
Fiction Foods was founded by Brendan Brazier, who is also the co-founder of the plant-based sports nutrition brand Vega. Brazier has been very successful in the meat alternative industry and helped co-develop Beyond Meat’s first burger in 2015. He has always been inspired to make a nutrient-dense product that doesn’t cause harm to the environment in the way animal agriculture does.
Fiction Foods’ goal is to obtain more nutrients, like vitamins, minerals, and proteins; while consuming less of each natural resource, like land, water, and fossil fuels.
Brazier’s new product, the Performance Scramble, is a nutrient-rich liquid that can be used to replace a chicken egg in anything from a breakfast scramble to baking vegan cookies. Performance Scramble is different because the product is designed to enhance mental and physical performance while being more nutritious than a chicken egg.
Brendan Brazier, Founder of Fiction Foods, said,
“It’s not a fake egg, but a whole new culinary experience that is made from a single-cell organism called euglena that contains animal-like and high-quality protein, but without the animal.”
According to their website, Fiction Foods Performance Scramble will have,
- 15% more animal-quality protein than a chicken egg
- more DHA omega-3 than salmon, which can promote long-term brain health
- more zinc than oysters, which can promote optimal metabolic function
- more probiotics than yogurt, which can promote healthy intestinal flora
- more antioxidants than blueberries to help combat free radicals produced from exercise/exertion
- MCT-oil, which can promote enhanced cognitive performance
- Beta-glucan, which helps boost the immune system.
“Creating a nutrient-dense, versatile liquid that can be used in place of a chicken egg has long been an objective of mine. We are working hard so that Performance Scramble will be used to bolster mental and physical performance far beyond that of a chicken egg’s nutritional capability, while leaving the chicken alone,” said Brazier.
The Performance Scramble is set to hit the market by the end of the year.
Vegan egg recipes:
- Sunny-Side Up Fried ‘Egg’
- Scrambled “Eggs”
- The Ultimate Vegan Eggs
- Eggless Egg Sandwich
- Breakfast Sandwich With Tofu Egg and Tempeh Sausage
- Celeb Chef Marco Pierre White Introduces Plant-Based Steak to His Menu
- This Vegan Egg Just Outsold Actual Eggs in Retail Market!
- Pizza Hut Adds Beyond Meat Meatless Crumbles to Canadian Menus
- KFC and Beyond Meat Launch Beyond Fried Chicken
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!