Apparently this infamous recipe has been plagiarized and copied all over the web and even in a few big name books, but make no mistake, this creation is completely my own! Picnics don't have to be a bore. Enjoy this Eggless Egg Salad Sandwich at your next get-together for the ultimate protein fill, without the cholesterol.
Eggless Egg Sandwich [Vegan]
For the 'Yolk':
- 2 heaped tablespoons dried instant mashed potatoes, dehydrated flakes or powder. The ratio of water/liquid versus the potato flakes or powder that you find may differ depending on the brand.
- 7 tablespoons hot water (may need a tiny bit more)
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak salt (black salt)
- 3/4 teaspoon egg replacer
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon sunflower or canola oil (not olive oil, as that would alter the taste)
For the 'Egg White':
- 12.3-ounce pack of firm silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- A sprinkle of fresh chopped chives (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper (optional)
To Make the 'Egg Yolk':
- Make up your mashed potato mix, add margarine and other ingredients, and mash until consistency resembles hard-boiled egg yolk, it should be thick in consistency.
- Mix ‘yolk’ mix really well, then place in freezer for 15-20 minutes, then remove from freezer.
To Make the 'Egg White':
- Crumble the tofu into a clean bowl, then add the mayonnaise.
- Mix gently, then spoon in the ‘yolk’ mix – mix gently until the ‘yolk’ is covered with the mayonnaise.
- Refrigerate this mix for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Spoon onto fresh bread and enjoy! I suggest using the freshest and tastiest wholegrain bread, and the best possible brand of vegan mayonnaise.
1. You may wish to get your packet of tofu and place it in the freezer for half an hour prior to opening it and cutting it up – makes for a firmer cut. 2. You will also need extra oil for frying your egg if you decide to make fried eggs.