This is a veganized version of the classic sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich that puts its original counterpart to shame. The tofu egg is perfectly textured, colored with turmeric, and stacked on top of a savory piece of maple syrup-smoked tempeh, and then sandwiched between two homemade English muffins that are fresh out of the oven.
Breakfast Sandwich With Tofu Egg and Tempeh Sausage [Vegan]
For the Tofu Egg:
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder (optional)
For the Sausage:
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the English Muffin:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, warm
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fine cornmeal
To Make the Egg:
- Mix all the ingredients together except for the tofu.
- Cut the tofu into half inch rectangles lengthwise. Make 1/2-inch tofu discs using a circular cookie cutter, glass, or mason jar lid.
- Put the tofu and marinade in a small tightly sealed container and shake it around. Ideally, this should marinate in the refrigerator at least overnight and as long as a couple of days.
- Warm some oil in a pan on medium heat. Place the marinated tofu discs in the pan. Pour the extra the marinade over the tofu and cook them each side until golden brown. The turmeric should turn a nice bright yellow while the tofu cooks.
To Make the 'Sausage':
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Using the same tool you used for the tofu, cut the tempeh into circular discs about 1/2 an inch thick.
- Put the tempeh and the marinade in a small tightly sealed container and shake it around. Ideally, this should marinate in the refrigerator at least overnight and as long as a couple of days.
- Warm oil in a pan on medium heat. Place the marinated tempeh discs in the pan. Pour the marinade over the tempeh and cook each side until it's golden brown. The maple syrup will become sticky as the tempeh cooks and liquid evaporates.
To Make the English Muffins:
- Add the yeast and sugar to the warm water. Do not boil the water or you will kill the yeast. Let it sit about 5-10 minutes until it's foamy.
- Mix half the flour with the salt in a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, combine the warm milk and the melted butter.
- Pour the yeast mixture and the milk mixture into the flour and combine.
- Add the remaining flour in, a half a cup at a time, until you get a sticky dough.
- You can do this in a stand mixer or by hand. To do it by hand, dust some flour onto your counter top and knead it for 5 minutes.
- Grease a bowl. Shape the dough into a ball and put it in the bowl. Move the dough around to coat it in grease and cover it. Let it rise until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and put it onto a flour-dusted countertop.
- Roll the dough until it's about 3/4 inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, glass, or anything round, cut the dough into circles. When you run out of space, roll the remaining dough into a ball, roll on the counter and cut more circles.
- Sprinkle the cornmeal on a baking sheet. Place the dough circles on the cornmeal, leaving space between them, and cover them loosely. Let them rise for 45 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan or griddle on medium-low. Add some non-stick spray or a very light amount of oil. With a spatula, put the dough into the hot pan. Cook them until they're golden brown and crispy, then flip them and repeat this process on the other side.
- Start this with 4-5 minutes and watch them closely until they are ready. Cool them on a wire rack until you're ready to make your sandwiches.
- Assemble them with the "egg", "sausage", and whatever else you would like.