These Homemade Vegan Apple-Cinnamon Pop Tarts are nothing short of flaky, naturally sweet, and bursting with comforting spice flavors, both inside + out and topped with a beautiful Maple frosting. Complete homage to the classic childhood favorite, these pop tarts are a sure crowd-pleaser, especially for Apple lovers.
Apple-Cinnamon Pop Tarts [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups organic pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons organic pure cane sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup vegan buttery sticks (cubed) OR vegan butter (That’s 2 sticks!)
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Filling:
- 2 cups diced apples (That's about 2-3 medium Granny apples!)
- 1/2 cup organic pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon juice of a lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Arrowroot powder + 2 tablespoons warm water (Add additional if needed)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cardamom
For the Maple Icing/Glaze:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Vegan Rainbow Sprinkles
For the Crust:
- In a measuring cup, add the cold water and apple cider vinegar along with an ice cube and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, sea salt, cinnamon, and organic pure cane sugar, whisking them all together.
- Add the cubed vegan butter sticks (or regular vegan butter) and using a pastry blender, blend butter into dry ingredients until the mixture becomes “peas-like” and crumbly.
- Pour the cold apple cider vinegar-water mixture (slowly + without the ice) and stir (working it together with one hand) until the dry ingredients are moistened. If the ingredients feels a little too dry, add 1 tablespoon of cold water at a time, until it’s moistened BUT not too wet!
- Now, shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap and flatten it slightly and chill for at least 1 hour.
For the Filling:
- In a saucepan, add the apples, juice of a lemon, organic pure cane sugar, vanilla, and water and cook on medium-high heat, stirring until they release their juices. Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced considerably. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of cardamom. To thicken, add arrowroot mixture to sauce and stir until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. The consistency should look slightly runny, but thick and gooey.
For the Maple Glaze:
- Begin by adding 1/2 cup maple syrup to a small skillet on medium-high heat, bringing it to a boil. Whisk in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and let boil for another minute or two before removing it from the heat.
- Add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar into a large bowl followed by the hot maple syrup-mixture, whisking them together until nice and smooth.T he consistency should be velvety; if needed add more powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once chilled, remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured surface, rolling it out into a large rectangle (about 3 mm thick). Cut into small-medium rectangles (3″ wide and 4″ long), until all dough it used.
- On all rectangular cuts, lightly brush vegan butter to ensure that they close together best! On one cut dough, add 1 tablespoon of the Apple-Cinnamon filling and carefully cover it with another rectangular piece, gently pressing the edges down. Using a fork, carefully “crimp” around the edges and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all pop tarts are made.
- Once all are laid flat on the baking sheet, gently prick a set of holes on the tops using a fork.
- Lightly brush all pop tart tops with melted vegan butter and bake in the oven 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and the filling begins to become bubbly and begins to slightly seep out.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes (10 minutes or so).
- Once pop tarts have cooled completely, spoon 1-2 tablespoons of Maple Frosting (See Notes) atop each and sprinkle with vegan sprinkles. Let pop tarts sit for another 1-2 minutes so that frosting hardens. Enjoy.
- Bon Appetit!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile