These Homemade Vegan Apple-Cinnamon Pop Tarts are nothing short of flaky, naturally sweet, and bursting with comforting spice flavors, both inside + out and topped with a beautiful Maple frosting. Complete homage to the classic childhood favorite, these pop tarts are a sure crowd-pleaser, especially for Apple lovers.
Apple-Cinnamon Pop Tarts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Apple-Cinnamon Pop Tarts [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups organic pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons organic pure cane sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup vegan buttery sticks (cubed) OR vegan butter (That’s 2 sticks!)
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Filling:
- 2 cups diced apples (That's about 2-3 medium Granny apples!)
- 1/2 cup organic pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon juice of a lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Arrowroot powder + 2 tablespoons warm water (Add additional if needed)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cardamom
For the Maple Icing/Glaze:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Vegan Rainbow Sprinkles
How to Prepare Apple-Cinnamon Pop Tarts [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- In a measuring cup, add the cold water and apple cider vinegar along with an ice cube and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, sea salt, cinnamon, and organic pure cane sugar, whisking them all together.
- Add the cubed vegan butter sticks (or regular vegan butter) and using a pastry blender, blend butter into dry ingredients until the mixture becomes “peas-like” and crumbly.
- Pour the cold apple cider vinegar-water mixture (slowly + without the ice) and stir (working it together with one hand) until the dry ingredients are moistened. If the ingredients feels a little too dry, add 1 tablespoon of cold water at a time, until it’s moistened BUT not too wet!
- Now, shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap and flatten it slightly and chill for at least 1 hour.
For the Filling:
- In a saucepan, add the apples, juice of a lemon, organic pure cane sugar, vanilla, and water and cook on medium-high heat, stirring until they release their juices. Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced considerably. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of cardamom. To thicken, add arrowroot mixture to sauce and stir until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. The consistency should look slightly runny, but thick and gooey.
For the Maple Glaze:
- Begin by adding 1/2 cup maple syrup to a small skillet on medium-high heat, bringing it to a boil. Whisk in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and let boil for another minute or two before removing it from the heat.
- Add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar into a large bowl followed by the hot maple syrup-mixture, whisking them together until nice and smooth.T he consistency should be velvety; if needed add more powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once chilled, remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured surface, rolling it out into a large rectangle (about 3 mm thick). Cut into small-medium rectangles (3″ wide and 4″ long), until all dough it used.
- On all rectangular cuts, lightly brush vegan butter to ensure that they close together best! On one cut dough, add 1 tablespoon of the Apple-Cinnamon filling and carefully cover it with another rectangular piece, gently pressing the edges down. Using a fork, carefully “crimp” around the edges and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all pop tarts are made.
- Once all are laid flat on the baking sheet, gently prick a set of holes on the tops using a fork.
- Lightly brush all pop tart tops with melted vegan butter and bake in the oven 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and the filling begins to become bubbly and begins to slightly seep out.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes (10 minutes or so).
- Once pop tarts have cooled completely, spoon 1-2 tablespoons of Maple Frosting (See Notes) atop each and sprinkle with vegan sprinkles. Let pop tarts sit for another 1-2 minutes so that frosting hardens. Enjoy.
- Bon Appetit!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.