Butter beans, or lima beans, are rich in nutrients and work well in a variety of recipes. They have a consistency that is similar to butter and have a mild, sweet, and almost grassy flavor. They also soak up other flavors well and shine in soups, dips, salads, and spreads. Enjoy!
1. Basil Butter Bean Hummus
Source: Basil Butter Bean Hummus
This Basil Butter Bean Hummus by Robin Browne is loaded with the yummy basil flavors of pesto and packed with the tahini, beans, garlic, and lemon flavors that make hummus the king of snack time. It’s pretty divine.
2. Jamaican Brown Stew Mushrooms with Butter Beans
Source: Jamaican Brown Stew Mushrooms with Butter Beans
This Jamaican Brown Stew Mushrooms with Butter Beans by Trudy Geneus is packed with flavor and spices and starts with browning crimini mushrooms!
3. Creamy Dumpling and Butter Bean Stew
Source: Creamy Dumpling and Butter Bean Stew
This warming Creamy Dumpling and Butter Bean Stew by Maria Gureeva has an incredible amount of flavor, texture, and richness. The soft and fluffy dumplings are a unique twist and practically melt in your mouth. Garnish the finished stew with a fresh herb of your choice, such as dill or basil, and you certainly will not be disappointed.
Reprinted with permission from Earthy Vegan Eats by Maria Gureeva, Page Street Publishing, Co. 2021. Photo credit: Maria Gureeva.
4. Butter Bean Salad
Source: Butter Bean Salad
This Butter Bean Salad by Dominique Ebra is spectacular!
5. Sweet Potato and Quinoa Patties With a Butter Bean Tahini Sauce
Source: Sweet Potato and Quinoa Patties With a Butter Bean Tahini Sauce
This is a simple, nourishing meal that tastes amazing! These Sweet Potato and Quinoa Patties With a Butter Bean Tahini Sauce by Tiana Haines can be enjoyed as a burger or as a salad with plenty of fresh greens. For the sauce, creamy tahini and butter beans make the perfect dressing.
6. Wheat Berries, Kale, and Butter Beans Stew
Source: Wheat Berries, Kale, and Butter Beans Stew
This Wheat Berries, Kale, and Butter Beans Stew by Elsa Brobbey is a simple, flavor-packed hearty meal sautéed in a little bit of olive oil with kale, onions, and spices. It’s filling on its own for lunch, you can bring it to a picnic or potluck, or make it a part of a nice evening meal. Butter beans bring heft to the dish; they add a boost of protein and fiber, making it a complete meal.
7. Butter Bean and Root Veggie Stew With Herby Dumplings
Source: Butter Bean and Root Veggie Stew With Herby Dumplings
This Butter Bean and Root Veggie Stew With Herby Dumplings by Emily Wilkinson makes the most of root vegetables, cooking potato, carrot, and parsnip, as well as butter beans, into a thick, savory stew. Top that with plump, golden, herb-stuffed vegetable suet dumplings, and there’s nothing better.
8. Superfood Butter Bean Burgers
Source: Superfood Butter Bean Burgers
These Superfood Butter Bean Burgers by Natalie Tamara are exactly how they sound — full of superfoods and full of butter beans! These dense, meaty burgers are packed with chia seeds, quinoa flakes, whole grains, and, of course, beans! Enjoy them with a side of salsa and sweet potato fries. Whether or not you serve it on a bun is entirely up to you.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!