It’s September 22 and that means it’s National Ice Cream Cone Day! Woohoo! Time for a history lesson. According to ice cream historian Robin Weir, the “first pictorial evidence of ice cream cones” appeared in an 1807 etching in a Parisian cafe, where a woman was portrayed eating ice cream from a hand-held container. 40 years later, a cookbook hashed out the details of creating what may have been the first waffle cone recipe. And the rest is history.
Despite the progressively chilly weather, we’re not quite ready to give up ice cream (and let’s be honest, we probably won’t give it up even when the snow falls), so it’s time to celebrate!
First, you’ll need a cone. Try these Raw Ice Cream Cones by Mariko Sakata!
Source: Raw Ice Cream Cones
Looking for a crispy, healthy edible vessel for your fave ice cream? These Raw Ice Cream Cones by Mariko Sakata are made out of kelp noodles and young coconut meat. Have no fear! If you’ve never worked with these ingredients before, the recipe breaks down what they are and how to prepare them.
Now, Make Vegan Ice Cream!
Next, you’ll need ice cream. Since it’s fall, we searched the Food Monster App for the best fall-inspired vegan ice cream recipes!
1. Maple Walnut Ice Cream
Source: Maple Walnut Ice Cream
If you are getting tired of plain banana nice cream, then this Maple Walnut Ice Cream by Hannah Sunderani is for you! The flavors of this maple walnut ice cream are rich, creamy, maple-sweet, and nutty. This ‘nice’ cream was made by blending homemade walnut milk, chilled coconut cream, and maple syrup.
2. Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream
Source: Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream
Pumpkin spice latte may be a beverage but that doesn’t mean you can’t apply all of the same delicious ingredients and flavors into something equally amazing – like ice cream! Made by combining pumpkin purée, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and spices, this Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream by Gabrielle St. Claire is packed with accessible, affordable, and simple ingredients, no refined sugar, and healthy fats. Scoop this flavorful ice cream into a pumpkin and top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream for the perfect fall aesthetic.
Get the Blissful Cookbook!
3. Sweet Potato Ice Cream
Source: Sweet Potato Ice Cream
This Sweet Potato Ice Cream by Emily Brees is like a summery cousin to autumn’s pumpkin pie. This creamy and decadent cashew-based ice cream is spicy and cool — nobody would ever guess that it contains sweet potato! A topping of pecans complements the ice cream and if you’re feeling it, add a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
4. Banana Chai Ice Cream With Gingerbread Crumble
This Banana Chai Ice Cream With Gingerbread Crumble by Julie Van den Kerchove won the Runner-Up Award in Living Light’s 2014 Hot Raw Chef Contest. It’s made up of bananas, and chai spice, and topped with a spicy gingerbread crumble made from cashews, dates, and spices. Yum!
5. Hand-Churned Bourbon Salted Caramel Apple Ice Cream
You don’t need an ice cream maker to whip up this amazing Hand-Churned Bourbon Salted Caramel Apple Ice Cream by Emma D’Alessandro! Salted caramel and apple bourbon sauce are swirled generously into a base of hand-churned vanilla ice cream.
Want ice cream-making tips? Check out How to Make Vegan Ice Cream Rich and Creamy.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.