Asian and other ethnically-inspired recipes are a great way to add variety to your meal planning and experiment with interesting new flavors.
Traditional Asian cultures have long relied on plant-based foods like soy, vegetables, and grains as staples in their diet, so many of their dishes are already vegan. But if not, it’s also easy to make your favorite meal vegan with a couple of simple swaps.
The most obvious is subbing tofu, tempeh, seitan, or a plant-based meat substitute (like Gardein or Beyond Meat) for meat in a recipe. There are even products designed to replace chicken, beef, or other specific meats in recipes.
Because dairy is not a common ingredient in Asian dishes, the most insidious animal product to watch out for (and substitute in home cooking) is any kind of fish sauce or paste. Umeboshi paste has a complex, salty flavor that makes a perfect substitute for the intense taste of fish pastes.
Plant-based Asian dishes are also a great way to introduce omnivores to vegan dining. The familiar format, sauces, and other flavors can help balance out the experience of trying new items like tofu, tempeh, or seitan!
So let’s get cooking! Below are 11 delicious Asian-inspired recipes any diner is sure to appreciate. From soups and salads to entrees and desserts, we’ve put together a unique and tasty collection of plant-based Asian recipes:
Kelp Noodles in Peanut-Miso Sauce
Recipe by Koko Brill: Blogger, Koko’s Kitchen
Kelp Noodles Ingredients:
- 1 package kelp noodles, rinsed and cut to desired length if necessary
- vegetables of your choice for stir-frying (ie. cabbage, onions, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower)
- coconut oil
- Add a tbsp or so of coconut oil to a large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add your vegetables and saute until almost cooked through.
- Add kelp noodles and cover with a lid until veggies are fully cooked and noodles are warmed.
- 1 part miso
- 3 parts peanut butter
- splash of sesame oil
- splash of seasoned rice vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- Mix all ingredients together and add water to thin until desired consistency is reached.
- Toss with kelp noodle stir-fry. Enjoy!
- Udon Noode Soup
- Easy Seaweed Salad
- Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Sweet Potato, Red Cabbage and Kelp Noodle Bowl with Rich Miso Dressing
- Bangkok Black Rice Salad With Fresh Peach
- Street Pad Thai
- Pomegranate Sweet and Sour Tempeh
- Peanut Butter Spicy Noodles
- Minced Tempeh Salad with Lemongrass, Sesame, and Cashews
- Steamed Chinese Bao with Peanut Butter
Got a delicious Asian-inspired recipe? Share it with us!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.