A Waldorf salad is a salad traditionally made of fresh apples, celery, and walnuts, tossed with mayonnaise, and usually served on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or a light meal.The addition of chickpeas, tart cranberries, and a seasoned mayonnaise make it even more delectable. If you don’t like the idea of using store-bought vegan mayo, make a tofu mayo instead or a cashew mayo. There are a ton of recipes out there for these. You can also use half the amount of vegan mayo or leave it out all together and just use the tarragon vinegar for a dressing.
Chickpea Waldorf Salad [Vegan]
- 2 cups Red Delicious apples, chopped
- 2 cups Bartlett pear, chopped
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup red grapes, halved
- ⅓ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. dried tarragon leaves
- 2 tbsp. tarragon wine vinegar
- Sea Salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- Combine apples, pears, celery, walnuts, cranberries and grapes in a large serving bowl, set aside.
- Combine mayonnaise, tarragon wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and tarragon leaves in a medium bowl; mix well. Toss with apple mixture and season with sea salt(optional) and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Chill before serving. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg (optional) right before serving for a fall twist. Serve on top of fresh salad greens or on rolls. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.