Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Recent undercover footage from a UK slaughterhouse has revealed the unsettling treatment of pigs before slaughter, leading to calls for an investigation into the use of CO2 gas. The footage, allegedly taken at Pilgrim’s Pride abattoir in Ashton-under-Lyne, shows pigs being herded into a cage and lowered into a Butina gas chamber. The animals seem to be in severe distress as the gas concentration increases.
Source: Joey Carbstrong/Youtube
Animal welfare experts have condemned the use of CO2 to stun pigs, calling the method “utterly inhumane.” The footage, recorded for the film Pignorant by animal activist Joey Carbstrong, underscores the need for change. Carbstrong believes that the continued use of CO2 is due to prioritizing corporate profit over animal welfare.
Pilgrim’s Pride, a subsidiary of the Brazilian-owned meat producer JBS, has committed to the humane treatment of all pigs under their care. The company confirms that all of their pigs are stunned using CO2.
In 2003, the Farm Animal Welfare Council, a government advisory body, called for the phasing out of CO2 stunning. Despite this, its use has increased to 88 percent of all pigs in 2022. The European Food Safety Authority has identified high concentrations of CO2 as a “serious welfare concern” due to the pain, fear, and respiratory distress it causes in animals.
Defra-funded research recently examined low atmospheric pressure stunning (LAPS) as a potential alternative but concluded that it is not a humane option. Peter Stevenson, head of policy at Compassion in World Farming, urges the government to ban the use of high levels of CO2 by 2026.
There is no such thing as ethical meat, and there is no way of knowing how the animals have been treated before they reach your plate. The most ethical option is to ditch meat as well as other animal products entirely and go vegan.
- Petition: Urge the USDA to Ban Gas Chambers in Slaughterhouses
- Petition: Ban Gas Chamber Euthanasia on Animals In Utah
- Petition: Make Gas Chambers in Animal Shelters Illegal Across the Country
- Ohio Senate Passed Bill to Prohibit Gas Chambers in Animal Shelters
- Miracle Dog Who Survived Gas Chamber Has a New Family
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!