Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
In a world where superstitions and myths often intertwine with human behavior, black cats have sadly borne the brunt of unfounded fears and misconceptions. Despite their enigmatic presence, these felines have been subjected to various forms of abuse throughout history. From being associated with bad luck to facing discrimination due to their fur color, black cats have experienced adversity that highlights the need for greater understanding and compassion.
1. Black Kittens Used As Shark Bait
In a disturbing case of animal cruelty, black kittens were being used as shark bait for fishermen. Though the video has been taken down from its original source, you can still see clips here. Please use caution when watching this disturbing video.
2. Uno’s Story
Source: GeoBeats Animals/Youtube
Uno showed clear signs of abuse when he was found outside by himself. His ear was cut off and he was severely underweight. Without a microchip, Kat dropped him off with animal control. But she couldn’t keep him out of her mind, so she adopted him and gave him the loving home that he deserved.
3. Dino Pebbles and Sprinkle Sprangle
Source: WAVY TV 10/Youtube
The Kitty Kingdom Cat Cafe in Chesapeake had two very adorable feline friends looking to get adopted. But, with their black fur and history of abuse Dino Pebbles and Sprinkle Spangle were having trouble getting adopted. Their previous humans clipped their ears, making them even more undesirable for adoption.
Source: WXYZ-TV Detriot/Youtube
Stanley was brought into the Michigan Humane Society by a community member after they noticed his clipped ears, clipped tail, and bruises. 7Action News released this segment on Stanley to find the perpetrators of his abuse.
5. Naples Man Arrested For Black Cat Abuse
Source: NBC2 News/Youtube
Luis Herin was arrested and charged with two counts of animal abuse after injuring one of his girlfriend’s kittens and killing the other. Hunter, a tiny black kitten, had to be put down after his health declined. Soon, Luis Herin’s girlfriend found out that Hunter was being abused.
As we reflect upon the instances of abuse that black cats have endured, it becomes evident that the plight of these creatures is a poignant reminder of the power that superstitions and baseless fears can hold over our actions. The stories shared here serve as a call to action, urging us to challenge and dispel the myths that perpetuate cruelty and misunderstanding. By recognizing the inherent value and beauty of all living beings, regardless of their appearance, we can pave the way for a more compassionate future, where black cats no longer have to wait longer in shelters and suffer at the hands of humans.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Watch How This Black Cat Displays Affection After 10-Day Separation
- Rescued Black Cat Plays With His First Halloween Pumpkin (VIDEO)
- Black Cat Adoptions Are Soaring Thanks to the Popularity of the ‘Black Panther’ Movie!
- Mr. Biggles the Black Cat Up for Adoption in Australia Has THE Best Shelter Profile
- So Much For Superstition! Black Cat Saves Family of 8 From House Fire
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!