Meet Simon! His foster mom welcomed him into her home, and after only 24 hours, she fell completely in love with him and decided to adopt him. Simon originally came from Heart and Bones Rescue in New York. Although his previous owners gave him up, he could not have found a better home!
Source: GeoBeats Animals/Youtube
“I was really hoping when I adopted him to have a companion who would come with me wherever, and he’s just really happy to go along with things,” said his foster mom. “We never really know what dogs are thinking, but I definitely think he thinks I’m his mother.”
Fostering is essential because it helps reduce shelters’ overcrowding and opens space for other animals to be saved. It also helps prepare animals for adoption by giving them a chance to live in a home where they can fully express their personality, work to overcome fears, or recover from trauma.
You can keep up with Simon on Instagram!
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Why You Need to Stop Buying Farm Animals Like Chickens, Ducks, Pigs, Rabbits, and Goats as Pets
- Thinking About Adopting a Bunny? Here’s Why You Need to Stop Right Now!
- Are Rabbits Good Pets for Kids? 3 Important Factors to Consider on Bunnies as Buddies
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!