A new study found that replacing meat and dairy can cut your risk of heart disease! The study found that patients that subbed meat and dairy with vegan alternatives cut their heart disease risk by a third.
Replacing red meat with nuts and seeds, participants were 30% less likely to die from coronary heart disease. And even if you swap plant-based options for 3% of food intake still cuts your heart disease risk. The study looked at 400,000 people over 16 years to get the results. Scientists found that the more people swapped out meat for grains and pulses, the lower their risk.
- 10 Fruit and Nut Recipes You’ll Go Nuts For
- Rice and Bean Burgers
- Hearty Black Bean Soup
- 15 Protein-Packed Vegan Recipes That Feature Beans, Chickpeas, Lentils, and More Pulses!
- Seeds and Greens Kaniwa Salad
- These 20 Recipes Take Nuts to a Whole Other Level
“This large cohort investigation showed small but significant associations between higher intake of plant protein and lower overall and cardiovascular disease mortality,” Dr. Demetrius Albanes, one of the authors of the study, shared, “Prominent inverse associations were observed for replacement of egg protein and red meat protein with plant protein, particularly for plant protein derived from bread, cereal, and pasta. Findings from this and previous studies provide evidence that dietary modifications in choice of protein sources may promote health and longevity.”
Read more about heart health in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- Study Finds Plant-Based Diet Could Reduce Heart Disease and Stroke Risk
- Chemicals Found in Red Meat Can Cause Heart Disease
- Study Finds Plant-Based Protein is Good for Heart Health
- 10 Tips for the Heart-Healthiest Plant-based Diet
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!