Rice and Bean Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Rice and Bean Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 ounces canned butter beans (rinsed and drained)
- 7 ounces brown rice (boiled)
- 1.75 ounces walnuts
- 1 ounces sunflower seeds
- .7 ounces coriander
- 2 spring onions (only the green parts)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 1 slice of gluten free bread
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- salt (according to taste)
- black pepper (according to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
How to Prepare Rice and Bean Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Start by cooking your brown rice.
- In a big mixing bowl add the drained butter beans and mash them finely with a fork, leaving only a some lumps.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the raw walnuts and toast for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden brown. Let cool and move onto the next step.
- Chop up the spring onion (about half a centimeter in size) and the coriander and add it to the mixing bowl with the mashed beans.
- Soak your bread slice in water, drain it very good and also add it to the mixing bowl with the beans.
- Continue by chopping the toasted walnuts. And also add them to the mix.
- Next add the cooked rice(but first drain it from any liquid), then add all the spices, salt, oil, sesame and sunflower seeds.
- Mix everything well, you can also use your hands to bring all the ingredients together.
- Divide the mixture in 4 and start forming your patties. For smaller burgers you can divide it in 5 or 6.
- If grilling, heat the grill and brush the grill surface with oil to ease cooking. Otherwise, heat the same skillet you used earlier(to toss your walnuts) to medium heat.
- Once skillet is hot, add just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of your skillet, then add your burgers . Otherwise, add burgers to the grill and close lid.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on one side or until well browned, then flip gently. They aren't as firm as meat burgers, but will definitely hold their shape. Reduce heat if cooking/browning too quickly. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on other side.
- Remove burgers from the heat to let them cool slightly. While the burgers are cooling, prepare your toppings and sides and toast your buns.
- Serve burgers on their own, or on toasted buns with desired toppings.
Leftovers keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. If you want to make them ahead, put them in the freezer after they're cooled in reheat them in the oven on 356°F for 15min or until heated throughout.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.