This is a hearty and savory soup that is chock full of black beans and is perfect on a cold wintery day. To give it a rich and smoky taste without bacon, this recipe includes some sun-dried tomatoes and grated smoked tofu. And if you don’t care for tofu, don’t worry; you only taste the smokiness, not the tofu.
Hearty Black Bean Soup [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Hearty Black Bean Soup [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 6 cups cooked black beans, canned or dry beans soaked and boiled (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup smoked tofu, finely grated
- 2 medium-size cooking onions, chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 jalapeño pepper (red or green), seeds removed and chopped small
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, not packed in oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dry rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups pure tomato purée, no added salt or sugar
- 4 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 1-2 cups water (add more if need be)
- 2 bay leaves
- Ground pepper
- Salt (optional, with sun-dried tomatoes you may not need to add salt)
How to Prepare Hearty Black Bean Soup [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Soften the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl covered with warm water. Set aside.
- Heat up a big non-stick soup pot with olive oil. On medium heat, add the smoked tofu, onions, garlic, jalapeño pepper and sauté until the onions are soft, about 6 minutes. Add a little water if ingredients stick to the bottom.
- Chop the softened sun-dried tomatoes into chunks and discard water. Add them to the pot with cumin, rosemary and oregano. Sauté all ingredients for another 3 minutes adding a little water if it sticks. It should smell fragrant at this stage.
- Strain and rinse the beans. Set aside.
- Add the tomato purée, vegetable stock, water, and half of the cooked beans and simmer for another 5 minutes with lid on. Then, process directly in the pot with a handheld blender until smooth.
- Add bay leaves, ground pepper. Add the remaining half of the beans and simmer for another 10-15 minutes stirring from time to time.
After soaking overnight, boil the beans separately in salted water for about 1 hour or until tender before adding them to the soup.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 247 | Carbs: 36 g | Fat: 6 g | Protein: 13 g | Sodium: 381 mg | Sugar: 6 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.