This seeds and greens kaniwa salad is all about the texture and fresh spring flavors. It has 6 different seeds (not counting the peas which are technically seeds too), and a few slightly cooked green veggies, tossed together in a light lemon garlic vinaigrette. It’s delicious, refreshing, and super nutritious! Every ingredient adds a new textural dimension – the tiny popping seeds, the crisp asparagus and zucchini, the spherical feel of the tender peas in your mouth. It's magnificent! Some of the fresh veggies are slightly blanched to retain their crispiness and fresh taste and raw zucchini adds an extra crunch. Tossed together with with seeds, avocado, and a vinaigrette, this kaniwa salad becomes a deliciously filling lunch.
Seeds and Greens Kaniwa Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Seeds and Greens Kaniwa Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Kaniwa Salad:
- 1 cup asparagus, blanched and cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup raw zucchini, diced
- 1 avocado
- 2 handfuls of arugula (or other greens)
- 1/4 cup kaniwa
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- juice of 3 lemons
- salt to taste
How to Prepare Seeds and Greens Kaniwa Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Place kaniwa, with 1/2 cup water in a pot, with a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and add the asparagus, and peas. Boil for 3 minutes, remove from heat, drain and cut into small pieces.
- In a bowl, mix the kaniwa seeds, chopped zucchini, asparagus and peas. Add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds (if using).
- Chop the fresh dill and chives and add to the bowl.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil and crushed garlic and pour over the salad. Add a few pinches of salt.
- Mix well.
- Garnish the salad with sliced avocado, and serve over a bed of arugula, or other greens.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.