Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
A fur farm in Ohio called Lion Farms USA used to hold tens of thousands of minks captive in tiny containers. The poor animals were kept in tiny cages until handlers would pry them out, kill them, and skin them for their fur.
A group of likely well-intentioned people decided to try to release the animals from the farm and released up to 40,000 of the captive mink, which could have been a good thing.
However, authorities started to bring trappers to painfully catch and kill the escaped animals. They even authorized civilians to kill any roaming minks they encountered. Now, most of the mink that escaped are already dead. There are an estimated 10,000 remaining mink alive and free that were released.
Unfortunately, millions of animals are raised and cruelly killed every year for their fur. Much like farmed animals who suffer on factory farms, 85 percent of animals raised for their fur are raised on fur farms, where they are confined to tiny cages for their entire lives. This prevents them from swimming and engaging in other natural habits, which often causes them to go insane, leading to neurotic behaviors such as pacing. They are usually surrounded by feces and forced to move around mutilated or dead carcasses and are inevitably electrocuted and gassed to death.
Sign this petition to tell Ohio officials to do their part to capture and rehome the animals without needlessly killing them!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Free Two Beagle Puppies Who Are Facing Death in Police Custody
- Demand the DEA Revise the Opioid Regulation Strategy
- Pass New Bill That Would Help Hold Factory Farms Accountable
- Demand TikTok and Instagram Take a Firm Stance Against Animal Exploitation
- Demand Proper Oversight for Edmonton Zoo After Years of Welfare Concerns
- Tell Alabama to Ban the Death Penalty After Three Botched Lethal Injections
- Demand Shein Abide by Labor Laws and Stop Exploiting Workers
- Demand Investigation into Company That Employed Children at a Slaughterhouse
- Demand End to Legal Slaughter of Black Bears
- Protect Sharks From Extinction
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!