As coronavirus continues to sweep the United States, unemployment has hit record highs. People across the country are staying inside in observance of social distancing requirements. And a new coronavirus vaccine from Pittsburgh has been peer-reviewed.
As of April 2, more than 6.6 million Americans have filed for unemployment benefits in the wake of spreading coronavirus. The Labor Department reported that 10 million people had lost their jobs between March 16 and April 2.
The first peer-reviewed studies of a possible coronavirus vaccine were released in the United States. The University of Pittsburgh tested a vaccine that creates a high enough number of antibodies to “neutralize” the virus within two weeks of injection. The authors will apply to the Food and Drug Administration to get investigational drug approval.
A vaccine in a Seattle lab was developed and dozens of others are in the works around the globe, but this is the first one with outside peer review. The Pittsburgh scientists used knowledge of both Sars and Mers viruses to help develop the coronavirus vaccine.
According to Andrea Gambotto, associate professor of surgery at the Pittsburgh School of Medicine, “These two viruses, which are closely related to [Covid-19], teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus. We knew exactly where to fight this new virus.”
Another Professor working alongside Gambotto, Professor Falo, said testing in humans would “typically require at least a year and probably longer.”
Scientists believe that the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus, started at an exotic animal market in Wuhan, China. You can help stop the incidence of viruses like these by signing this petition to ban the wildlife trade.
Consider eating fewer animal products to stay healthy at this time. Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Catch up on our latest coronavirus coverage in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- How Coronavirus and the Wildlife Trade are Linked
- Jane Goodall’s Talks about Coronavirus and the Treatment of Wild Animals
- United States Now Has Most Coronavirus Cases in the World
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
- Coronavirus Update: Death Toll Surpasses SARS
- The Difference Between COVID-19 and the Flu
- Coronavirus Update: Quarantined Patients Given Turtles for Dinner In Spite of
- Coronavirus Update: Your Pets are Not in Danger
- China Acts on Coronavirus and Temporarily Bans Wildlife Trade
- Coronavirus Update: World Global Emissions Have Dropped
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!