Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
According to researchers, using human urine or peecycling could be a liquid gold alternative to chemical fertilizers while also helping cut down waste.
Source: Rich Earth Institute/Youtube
Amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine, chemical fertilizer shortages are persisting, and experts are now saying that peecycling, or the process of recycling human urine, could increase the yield of nutrient-rich crops.
Fabien Esculier, a researcher at the OCAPI research program in France, told Euro News that urine contains nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, making it a nutrient-rich alternative. Human waste is less polluting than synthetic fertilizers, which contain ammonia.
The Rich Earth Institute, a non-profit based in Vermont, has been working to create alternative waste management options for over ten years. The Institute’s mission is to create a world with clean water and fertile soil achieved by reclaiming the nutrients from our bodies as elements in a life-sustaining cycle, according to Rich Earth Institute.
The research division of the Institute studies how urine can be used as a fertilizer to grow crops. They also offer community members the chance to rent toilets for public events that collect urine.
The researchers are looking into the effect of pharmaceuticals in urine and how that could negatively impact crop growth. The team conducted a study from 2014 to 2020 and found that there are some pharmaceuticals detectable in crop tissue, but the levels were very small.
Although there will be a lot of obstacles to using human urine on a large scale, gas prices are soaring, and researchers believe that urine could be the future of natural fertilizers. Check out this guide on how to use your nitrogen-rich urine as fertilizer!
- Using Your Nitrogen-Rich Urine as Fertilizer
- How to Make Your Own All-Natural Garden Fertilizer
- Everything From Road Salt to Lawn Fertilizer is Killing Our Lakes and Marine Life – Here’s What You Can Do
- The Dangers of Using Waste From Factory Farms As Fertilizer
- How to Enrich Your Soil Naturally Without Fertilizer
- How to Make Your Own Liquid Fertilizers Out of Household Waste
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!