Paragon Sports, the New York City retailer, announced plans to stop selling fur on its website. Once the winter season ends, the company will no longer sell fur in stores.
The statement on the company’s website read, ” As a leader in the sports industry, we have always been customer-focused and innovative. This means we are constantly reevaluating the products that we carry and adapting to evolving preferences. There has been considerable innovation in the non-fur products that we have to offer and we recognize that many of our customers have grown to prefer these fur-free products. As such, this winter will be our last season of bringing fur products into our store. We are confident in our ability to provide our customers with the most unique and technologically advanced products available for a more conscientious and sustainable future.”
Paragon Sports will continue to sell “shearling or sheepskin” and “ethically sourced sheep fur products.”
This is a win for PETA, who has been calling for the ban on fur for many years. The animal rights group Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman said in a statement, “Paragon Sports is moving into the future by leaving fur behind. As Canada Goose struggles and fails to change its cruel image, PETA looks forward to seeing Paragon’s racks finally free of the brand’s fur-trimmed coats.”
This follows news that outerwear brand Canada Goose said that it would stop buying new fur from trappers and begin to move to a reclaimed fur model for products beginning in 2022. Other large fashion brands including Ralph Lauren, Chanel, Zara, Versace, Michael Kors, and Gucci have all stopped using fur.
Sign this petition to Ban Fur Farms in the U.S.
- Demand Nike and Puma Stop Using Kangaroo Skin in their Products
- Ban Fur Farms in the U.S.
- End the Chinchilla Fur Trade in the U.S. and E.U.
- Ask Etsy to Stop Allowing the Sale of Fur
- Ban Trapping Animals for Fur in the U.K.
Read more coverage of the fur industry’s cruelty:
- Dutch Fur Farms Have Killed A Million Mink During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Disturbing Footage Described as “Scene From Hell” of Animals Suffering at a Fox Fur Farm
- Canada Goose to Stop Using New Fur in their Outerwear Starting 2022!
- Man Snares and Bludgeons Foxes to Death in UK National Park to Sell Fur to Sweden
- Need Another Reason to Stop Buying Fur? Watch this Sad Footage of Mink Attacking Each Other at a Lithuanian Fur Farm
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!