Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Greece’s entire electrical grid ran on 100 percent renewables for the first time in history, according to the company which owns and operates the Greek electrical transmission system.
Source: Al Jazeera English/YouTube
Last week, renewable energy sources covered Greece’s electricity demands for about five hours, according to the Independent Power Transmission Operator (IPTO). Renewable also hit a record high that day and reached a peak of 3,106 megawatt hours (MWh) of electricity.
IPTO hopes that this milestone will help them become greener in the coming years.
Greece relies mostly on natural gas and renewable sources, such as wind and solar. They also use electricity from hydropower and, unfortunately, also use “brown coal,” one of the dirtiest fossil fuels.
Gradually, the use of fossil fuels has declined in the country as they gear up and use new renewable and hydropower plants to create green sources of energy.
Thankfully, Greece isn’t the first place around the world to hit this amazing 100 percent renewable record. Recently, California Set New Record For Using Nearly 100% Clean Energy.
Projects worldwide are developing new ways to utilize solar panels and other renewable sources to move away from dirty fossil fuels. Architecture students in Barcelona just built a solar-powered greenhouse that uses 50 percent less energy than it produces. Virginia is transforming abandoned coal mines into solar farms, and a start-up is helping retrofit old buildings in Brooklyn to use clean energy. The latest climate report from the IPCC is a final warning for governments around the world about Global warming, so it’s great to see companies taking the initiative and working towards a renewable future!
- Saudi Arabia’s Controversial New City Run Entirely on Renewable Energy
- Switzerland Jumpstarts Its Renewable Energy Industry With a 900 MW Underground “Water Battery”
- Old and Unused Coal Plants Are Being Used For Renewable Energy
- California Will Cover Canals With Solar Panels to Save Water and Meet Clean Energy Goals
- What Is the Environmental Cost of Renewable Energy’s Dependency on Traditional Extraction Methods and Are There Better Ways?
- California Set New Record For Using Nearly 100% Clean Energy
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!