The tribute began, “Our hearts are heavy today as we let you all know that our beloved German Shepherd, Champ, passed away peacefully at home.” They reminisced on the pup’s favorite activities such as chasing golf balls, running around with their grandchildren, and following them throughout the White House to keep them company. The Bidens called champ their “constant, cherished companion” and concluded, “In our most joyful moments and in our most grief-stricken days, he was there with us, sensitive to our every unspoken feeling and emotion. We love our sweet, good boy and will miss him always.”
Our family lost our loving companion Champ today. I will miss him. pic.twitter.com/sePqXBIAsE
— President Biden (@POTUS) June 19, 2021
Champ was with the Biden family for 13 years and arrived at the White House a few months ago where he immediately found comfort in a dog bed by the fireplace.
The Biden’s other dog, Major, made headlines for being the first shelter dog to live in the White House. Major is 3 years old.
Many people responded to the President’s tweet offering their condolences and comforting words. Former First Lady, Michelle Obama, retweeted the post and wrote, “Champ was such a good boy, and we know how much he meant to your family over the years. Barack and I are sending all our love to you, @POTUS, and the entire Biden family. ❤️”
- The First Rescue Dog is Coming to the White House
- Pups Champ and Major Arrive at the White House!
- Kerry Washington Mourns Dog Josie
- ‘Today I Lost One of My Best Friends’ Says Miranda Lambert in Touching Tribute to Her Late Rescue Dog
- “Today Our Family Lost a True Friend and Loyal Companion” Shares Obama in a Touching Tribute to Family Dog Bo
- Michael J. Fox Shares Dog Tribute After His Dog Passes Away
- ‘Our Connection Was Purely Divine’ Says Miley Cyrus Mourning the Death of Her Pit Bull
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Alum Lisa Vanderpump Mourns Her Dog Giggy’s Death
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!