Priscilla Feral, president of Friends of Animals, posted a statement on Primarily Primates’s website sharing the tragedy. “Every animal matters to us, and we are devastated,” Feral shared in her statement. Several monkeys and lemurs died, and one chimpanzee.
The sanctuary has also evacuated other animals in their care to keep them safe, the group shared in a tweet that they have “evacuated [dozens] of animals and kept others, [including] 32 chimps, baboons, monkeys + lemurs in heated bedrooms.”
The historic freeze in Tx has taken a toll, + we thank all volunteers, staff + donors for efforts that have evacuated many doz. of animals and kept others, includ. 32 chimps, baboons, monkeys + lemurs in heated bedrooms. Approx. 12 lives lost.
— Primarily Primates (@primate_refuge) February 17, 2021
Moms and Mutts Colorado Rescue (MAMCO) is planning to transport over 100 dogs from Texas to Colorado, reported local station KUSA. “I knew there was going to be a huge need for dogs that were left outside, dogs that were dumped,” said Aron Jones, executive director of MAMCO.
If you’re not able to foster, but still want to help, you can donate to MAMCO here, Brighter Days Rescue here, Lola’s Rescue here, Circle 2 Rescue here, Primarily Primates here, and Friends of Animals here.
Read more about the current weather in Texas in One Green Planet.
- Numerous Animals Dead and Displaced Following Massive Flooding in India
- The PREPARED Act Will Ensure Animals are Protected From Natural Disasters
- “It Doesn’t Matter if the House is Dirty, It Can be Cleaned” Says Man Who Kept Hundreds of Animals Safe During Hurricane Delta in Mexico
- 47 Goats and a Brood of Hens Were Saved From Floods in India By Five Hero Dogs!
- Animal Rescue League in Iowa Saves Over 40 Dogs During Winter Storm
- Thousands of Sea Turtles Cold Stunned in Texas
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!