The Seaside Aquarium in Seaside, Oregon holds 11 harbor seals captive. The trapped seals live in a small pool-like enclosure, perhaps 8X5 feet and no deeper than 2.5 feet. “I was absolutely shocked by the size. It’s smaller than a swimming pool that you would see in somebody’s backyard” Seidelman, who works as an animal welfare advocate, told The Dodo. They are forced to entertain visitors and compete for small bites of fish. Seals should not have to live in captivity for their entire lives.
Source: The Oregonian/Youtube
The very small space is not insulated, and it’s incredibly loud and disturbing for these creatures. It’s time that these beautiful marine mammals are moved to a sanctuary so they can receive the necessary stimulation they need to live a healthy, normal life. Sign this petition to ask Seaside Aquarium officials to give the seals to a sanctuary where they can live the rest of their life in peace.
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Turtles Are Getting Mysteriously Ill in Central Florida, and Scientists Need Help
- Stop People From Shooting Pets with Guns and Arrows in Louisiana
- Horse Owners Were Charged With Roughly 300 Counts of Animal Abuse
- Emily Was Brutally Beaten by Police for Drinking a Beer on the Beach
- Banks Are Funding Our Climate Destruction. They Must Divest Now
- Call on Congress to ban police from using phone data to spy on pregnant people
- Indigenous Women Were Forced Into Being Sterilized. Demand Justice
- Change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- Delta Airlines Abandoned Five Million Honeybees-in-Transit to Die on a Hot Tarmac
- Demand Change From Shein
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!