Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
In the animal agriculture industry, animals are treated as commodities. Thus, mother animals are forced to give birth over and over to produce babies that will be slaughtered for meat as well as milk for humans to drink. This practice of separating families is extremely traumatizing for both mother and child. Fortunately, animal sanctuaries like Farm Sanctuary make it possible for farm animals to finally get to have a family bond.
Some animals, like Diane the dairy cow, are rescued after years of getting her calves stolen immediately after they were born. Thus, when she arrived at the sanctuary, she immediately took to the calves and became a kind of adoptive mother.
Other animals, like Cheryl, can keep one of their babies. Cheryl and her calf, Pecan, live happily at the sanctuary. She is super protective over the one baby that she could keep (understandably so) and always likes to stay close by.
Some families are also made up of adoptive and birth parents. Nikki gave birth to piglets at the sanctuary, but she didn’t raise them on her own. Another gestation pig, Honey, co-parented the piglets with Nikki.
Let’s not forget about the animal mothers who have had their babies stolen from them, and celebrate the sanctuaries that allow farm animal mothers to finally live out their lives in peace with their biological and adoptive babies.
- Rescued Mother Pig Snuggles With the Only Piglet She Was Ever Able to Keep [Video]
- One Year Later, Joaquin Phoenix Reflects on Rescuing a Mother and Baby Cow
- Frightened Lambs Thought They’d Lost Their Mother Forever – Then Everything Changed (VIDEO)
- Man Turns Farm Into an Animal Sanctuary Named After the Pig He Found There [Video]
- Utah Turkey Farmer Releases 9 Turkeys to Animal Sanctuary
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!